Nusilme Forum Index
  ChatChat  ChatPreets Blog  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Designs: Mining Ships/Fleets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 am    Post subject: Designs: Mining Ships/Fleets Reply with quote

Since we're all just dying to get our hands on some awesome ships, I figured the board could use a good place to post and discuss the best ship designs we can come up with! Like the planets one, if we see designs that we agree are good, I'll edit the starting post to add them, so there's no looking through pages of text to find the designs you seek. I'll start it off :).

Some things to keep in mind when designing ships:
- Ships with only impulse engines cannot leave your star system! To make ships that can travel far, they need to at *least* be equipped with a DX-1 engine.
- Just because you can't make a certain component yet, that doesn't mean no one in the empire can! If a design here has a component you can't yet produce, feel free to ask someone who can... I'm sure you can work something out ;).
- Keep the fuel costs in mind. The better the engine, the more hydrogen it requires to travel one pc... fastest is not always best, as hydrogen is a rare commodity.

Mining Ships:
Things to consider when creating mining fleets:
- One mining laser can mine ~198 resources per minute. In an hour, this results in roughly 12k resources.
- Each added laser to the fleet will give only about 20 resources more per minute. Therefore, in the beginning it is wise to search different asteroids to mine from. When mining, fleets act as if they are one ship. Two ships with one mining laser each will still only gain you ~218 resources per minute.
- Cargo space in fleets is also shared. It is possible to create one ship with just mining lasers, and using another ship with just a cargo hull. This way mining will cost you twice as much fuel (two ships, two engines), but it will go faster plus you don't have to leave the asteroid to keep mining. You can split up your fleet, send the cargo ship home to empty up while the mining ship mines some more to keep your spot occupied. Of course, some cargo on your mining ships would be required then.

The designs:
Lancer: DX-1 engine (3), Prototype Mining Laser (3), Small Cargo (4); cargo capacity 11.500
A decent starter for an empire just beginning to mine asteroids. Not a very long life expectancy though, as they cost fairly much to keep flying around for the little cargo hull they have.

Cutter: DX-1 engine (3), Prototype Mining Laser (3), Small Cargo x2 (8); cargo capacity 21.500
Just a small upgrade from the Lancer miner, but it still has twice the capacity. Only worth it if you plan on delaying the Corvette chassis for another while.

Corvette: DX-2 engine (7), Prototype Mining Laser (3), Medium Cargo (10); cargo capacity 51.500
With a cargo hull of 51.500, the Corvette miner is capable of mining almost half of a fresh asteroid. Downside: you can only set it to mine 60 minutes max, and it will take more than four hours for one ship to fill up. The DX-2 makes it twice as fast as previous miners, at a rather low fuel consumption increase.

Frigate: DX-2 engine (7), Prototype Mining Laser (3), Large Cargo (15); cargo 121.500
A Frigate can pretty mine the full contents of an asteroid, but will take ages to do so. Considering how popular asteroids are, only use this if you're still under protection. Otherwise, it's not likely your Frigate will survive for ten hours while mining.

Of course, all these ships (especially the Corvette and up) are also perfectly suitable to serve as cargo/trade ships, since the majority of them is cargo space.

Mining Fleets:
Once you leave noob protection, your ships will become vulnerable to attacks. Therefore, the ships mentioned above may not be the best ships to use when mining... after all, your ships will be sitting ducks without support, and leaving them in a spot for ten hours could very well be fatal. Bundling them into fleets may be a good alternative.

Things to keep in mind while creating mining fleets:
- Your objective will now be to mine an asteroid empty as fast as you can. Because you're putting resources (constructed ships) at risk to gain more resources, you don't want to risk more than you have to! Only send as many ships as you'll need, never more.
- By this time, you'll probably have a Corvette or even Frigate chassis available. However, you could also consider scrapping your older ships at a Dock (by taking out the cargo hulls and adding extra mining lasers).
- Your fleet will move at the speed of the slowest engine. Don't mix DX-1 powered ships with DX-2 powered ships, as the whole fleet will adjust to the slower engines.

My mining fleet currently consists of ships with the following setup:

Frigate: DX-2 engine (7), Mining Laser x6 (18); cargo 9.000
Obviously these ships need a cargo ship to accompany them (an old mining ship with large or medium cargo will do just fine), but their six lasers will give them a ~318 resources/minute ratio... ~338/minute if the cargo ship also contains a mining laser.
Each further ship with this layout will add an extra ~120/minute to the mining speed of the fleet.

Mining once you leave protection could be a very expensive endeavour indeed (especially when your ships get blown to bits), so don't take any risks. Players are known to visit asteroids with combat ships just for the hell of grinding other people's mining ships to pulp, so be cautious.

Any thoughts/additions? I'm not sure if the 'Mining Fleets' bit is very useful, if you all think it's a load of bollocks just say so :). Thanks for reading!
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice you explained alot of things i didnt understand about mining fleets Very Happy thnx so much, only problem for me is all asteroids are like 3 galaxies away from me as i exhausted them all Sad

Tar Kathar, Tur o Nusilme

Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time an asteroid is mined up, somewhere, randomly in the galaxy, a new one spawns Smile. There are 2000 at once so we never run out completely.

Of course, there are 10000 starsystems, so you could get unlucky and have none near you.
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to be me atm

Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... my newest colony has so many good asteroids around it, and I have no ships nearby (that I'm willing to risk) to mine them Sad.

I think I'm gonna create a bunch of extra Lancers... true, they may only mine for 1 hour until they're full, but I don't want to stay much longer at an asteroid anyway Smile.
tomx
Caun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send materials to me instead kale... please.. Very Happy
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send me a colony pod instead Razz

Madolph
Chief of Intelligence

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is brilliant stuff Kal - I been looking at the wetpaint website but it's not that helpful.

Did all that awesome detail you posted come from the forums or what or have u worked it out?

Really, really useful - thanks Very Happy
We should make Kal Science Officer I reckon....
...First Engineer?, what u think.....

Serve Emperor Anar or (until we've sorted ourselves out and have big nasty fleets of awesome megaships and can kick your pathetic arses in a month or three) - we'll come round and gesture harshly at you before running away like sissy schoolgirls!

Hucker Out Exclamation
Badolph - Burglar (60)
Midgelo- Minstrel (60)
Daftolph - Warden (60)
Kenny - RK (60)
Bevoir - Hunter (60)
Beviston - Captain (60)
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant wait till we all have big fleets and can blockage all annoying ppl who annoy us Razz

P.s i signed our first Cease Fire Aggrement last night as we had broken into war with the Trade Federation. i managed to sort it all our, they asked for 15virgins for peace, i gave them 2 slags from dundee and they all died of STD's so no more problems there Smile

Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been reading a lot, trying stuff out and asking other people in the chat stuff Smile. Haven't been to their forums yet, not sure if it's any use.

And Ana, an alliance of any sort with Trade Federation is not gonna happen... they pretty much are an elite group who feed on anyone and anything not strong enough to resist them (like us), and declare war if someone asks for a NAP or anything. I'm surprised they cancelled their declaration again, nice job there Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nusilme Forum Index -> The Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: