Nusilme Forum Index
  ChatChat  ChatPreets Blog  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

How to: Colonizing Other Planets
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: How to: Colonizing Other Planets Reply with quote

Getting more planets early on is a good way to ensure that you will get plenty of resources of all ten types. Although the 'Colonization of other planets' research is required to produce Colonization Pods, you can take a shortcut by acquiring a pre-built Colonization Pod from an ally and putting this into your own ship. Several people can already make these, so don't spend days researching the pods if you can get them easily by asking! So... tired of your own grounds and ready to claim lands for the greater glory of the Emperor? Here's how!

The first step is simple: Explore!
    You can build Probes from (pretty much) the first day you start your empire. Don't just use them for farting around a bit in orbit of other empire members *cough*Anar*cough*, but use them! Visit star systems near you, to get a better idea of who and what's around you. This also helps you find asteroids early on, without relying on Probes to find them.

The second step can be a bit tedious: Inspect planets!
    Clicking a planet will give you a rough indication of the planet's distribution. 'Few' means the resources are below 40%, 'Normal' means the resources are between 41 and 75% and 'Many' will mean that the resources on this planet will be 75% or higher. *Rough estimation, will need to verify.

Needless to say, a planet with only 'Few' and a few 'Normal' is not a very good planet. However, a planet with 'High' in some resources could mean they still only have 78-80% in those resources. Once you find a planet to your liking (I'd recommend at least four or five 'High' ratings), send your Probe in to take a closer look. Once your Probe has arrived at the planet, it will give you the exact percentages concerning the resource distribution.

The third step is very important: Choosing planets!
    So, you've found some good candidates? Excellent! Keep in mind though, you only get to colonize FOUR more planets besides your main planet, so make them count! It is possible to abandon planets later, but you will get no refunds whatsoever so you will lose a tremendous amount of resources and time.

When you have five planets, you will want (if possible) to have a 95% rating or more of every resource on at least one planet. After all, building a resource facility at 60% would only gain you 6 extra units per hour, while you could've had 9 or 10!

So, when selecting planets, make sure they have 90+% in at least two resources, covering all ten resources once you have five. Titanium and Hydrogen become very important in the mid-end game, so if possible you'll want good ratings for these two resources on more than one planet. It may take a while to find suitable planets, but one of my planets has a rating of 90+% in five resources, so it's definitely possible. Don't give up if it takes a while, I've inspected hundreds of planets before finally settling on these.

It's no problem if a planet has only 10% on some resources, you'll be wanting to focus your efforts on the 'Many' ones anyway. You can compensate for those very low ratings by finding planets with 90%+ in those you lack, and send ships inbetween to maximize your mining income.

The fourth step: Building a ship!
    Alright, so you've found a planet suitable to become part of the Great Nusilme Space Empire? Then get cracking on a ship and plant that flag in the name of our beloved Emperor before someone else does!

A ship with a Colonization Pod will be consumed in the process, so you'll want to spend as few resources on it as you can. The cheapest possible ship layout to create a Colonization Ship is the following:

Corvette: DX-1 engine (3), Colonization Pod (15).

The Colonization Pod takes a hefty 15 slots, so the smallest ship to carry one and still have propulsion would be a Corvette (at 20 slots). The cheapest engine capable of warp travel is the DX-1. Don't add anything else to the ship. It may be tempting to use these two leftover slots, but the ship will be scrapped at no refund when you colonize.

The fifth and final step: Go forth and conquer!
    Once your ship is done, send it out to the planet you had in mind. Any leftover fuel in the ship will be dropped on the new planet when colonizing, but why would you want extra Hydrogen there? Only put as much Hydrogen in the ship as it takes to make the flight, you'll be more likely to have ships on your home planet screaming for fuel as it is. Your new colony will have 5.000 of every resource, so you're ready to start building.

Make sure a fresh Commander will be put in charge of the planet. On colonies, the skills you want in a Commander are Construction and Economy. By starting your colony with a 'fresh' commander, you can be sure all skill points he earned will be in those two classes, so you get value for your money. Planet Commanders cost a lot of money after a few days, but it'll be well worth it. You could even consider going to your Trade Post and buying some Commanders with their stats in these two (Commanders from each race start with different traits), if you really mean business! Plentropian, Jamazoid or good ole Human are good choices, and can often be picked up for a few hundred credits.

Distance to your other planets is something to consider. You don't want the planets to be too far away (because you'll spend hours and lots of Hydrogen carrying stuff to and from them), but too close and your enemy will have found all your planets as soon as they find one. As a first colony I would recommend you find a planet with high Titanium, Copper and/or Iron, as you will need a lot of these resources for building structures and ship components. The other components are important as well (Hydrogen for fuel, Krypton for your Bunkers), but they can wait a bit.

Congratulations! You are now the proud owner of a Colony, which will provide your Emperor with the goods and services He needs. A How To on how to develop planets and colonies will follow shortly, if people are interested Smile.

Cheers for reading, and thoughts, tips, comments and/or criticism are more than welcome!

-Kal

PS: I will attempt to make the post a bit more readable tomorrow, it's 5.40AM right now so I can't be arsed Razz.
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great walkthrough Smile good one kale your services to the empire are well noted Very Happy

granted ive already bugged you for most of this info before its good for many of the people who are just starting out Very Happy and get to know whats ahead of them

Tar Kathar, Tur o Nusilme

sweepie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k, am doing something wrong. Confused

I can fly probes to planets, but cannot seem to get any info about their resources to show.

When i am at a planet, clicking just brings up the fleet details, tried from the system view and clicking on a nearby planet - it just updates the flight plan of the probe to there!

totally baffled over this little bit Embarassed
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the game is a bit unhandy in how you have to approach things.

To see how a planet is like, you need to click the Starsystem menu, then click the planet that your Probe should be at (or click the Sun in the system, and select the planet from there). If it gives you the option to move your Probe around, just click the Starsystem button once more (in your menu bar on the bottom) and try clicking the planet again.

If you click the planet through the Starsystem menu when your Probe is there, you may have to click the image of the planet on the right-hand top to go through to the planet's stats.

It takes a bit of clicking and trying, but you'll figure it out Smile.
Madolph
Chief of Intelligence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Super post by Science Officer Kal - thanks !!!

Now - if you could follow up with how to use the starsytem map and navigate large distances it would be really good.... Idea

Should we make some effort to get a bunch of planets close together for our colonies so we can help (and defend) ourselves better??

Kal or anyone suggest a universe where we could start a Nusilme Ghetto ?

Hucker Out Exclamation
Badolph - Burglar (60)
Midgelo- Minstrel (60)
Daftolph - Warden (60)
Kenny - RK (60)
Bevoir - Hunter (60)
Beviston - Captain (60)
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggested it many times first officer hucker, to no avail as no1 seemed intressted

Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already got all five of my planets, so I'm done choosing I'm afraid. All pretty much in the northern middle area, Ana's got a planet in my home system too. Might be a decent area, though I can imagine you not wanting to travel 70pc for it Razz.
sweepie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Kal, very useful - can use the Star in each solar system to bring up a list of planets - pure genius Smile

Quote:
Now - if you could follow up with how to use the starsytem map and navigate large distances it would be really good....

I think I actually understand this lol

Think of the starsystem map being split into 100 rows and 100 columns, each solar system is at one of the intersections.
So system 7350 is at row 73 and column 50 (ass backward system makes it feel more difficult than it has to be i think)

So, moving about just add/subtract from these two pairs of numbers for the new location. ie.

7073 7074 7075 7076 7077 7078
7173 7174 7175 7176 7177 7178
7273 7274 7275 7276 7277 7278
7373 7374 7375 7376 7377 7378
7473 7474 7475 7476 7477 7478
7573 7574 7575 7576 7577 7578
7673 7674 7675 7676 7677 7678
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Sweeps, that's how it works Smile.

Even though it sounds like 7078 is hours away from 7673, it's only a 6 pc travel really Smile.
Madolph
Chief of Intelligence

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what would be a suitable distance u think ?

I'm 4hrs by probe from Sorsh? - somewhere near there u think?
With even 1 or 2 good colonies each close to one another surely we can do much better?
Badolph - Burglar (60)
Midgelo- Minstrel (60)
Daftolph - Warden (60)
Kenny - RK (60)
Bevoir - Hunter (60)
Beviston - Captain (60)
tomx
Caun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how far to me hucks? im in 906... top left of the map lol, miles from everyone
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what a suitable distance would be... considering how spread out we all are, perhaps it would be possible to create Squadrons of some sort?

With all people who are relatively close to one another helping each other out, creating a few hubs rather than just one? It seems to me like we have some people in the top rows (say 0-20) and a lot in the lower (say 70-90), and a couple in the middle.

You're all welcome to settle near me if you can find suitable planets of course Smile. Just not sure if it's handy considering that most people are in the lower parts of the universe map.
Anaranas
Tūr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive sent up a colony ship to sorsh (tho taking about a days worth of travel) and already got one near kale so hoping i can help both out

Starrchild

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do i seem to be at the other end of the bloody univers and out ot range of help from anyone,

Shiroma lrm 60
Starburst Minstrel 60
Starlighter Hunter 60
Starfighter Captain 60
Starsprite Guardian 38 = kin banker
Tjornir

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a little word of warning, don't overdo the exploring and getting details of planets. Friday evening (after i got my probe running and looked for a first planet to potentially settle on once i am able to) i suddenly got the message "you checked to many planets and profiles, this feature is disabled until tomorrow", effectively crippling me from doing anything (i didn't write down coordinates of asteroid-fields to mine yet).

it took a mail to support the next day to get rid of it, since by noon i still only saw the same message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nusilme Forum Index -> The Empire All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: